- 7.5% of all paper files get lost and 3% of the remainder are misfiled:
- Each lost document costs between £175 and £400
- Each misfiled document costs approximately £75
- The average search time for a document is 18 minutes.
- In total approximately 8 hours per worker per week is wasted on the retrieval, handling and processing of paper documents!
- Most professionals spend 5 to 15% of their time reading information, but up to 50% looking for it!
- The average business document is copied 19 times - Over 81 billion sheets of paper are copied each month!
- For every 10 printed pages, usually only 1 is actually consulted!
- Only 10% of corporate information lies in structured databases. The remaining 90% - often critical to business processes - lies unmanaged in chaotic file system structures.
- In the average business, paper is growing by 22% a year... at this rate it will double in 3.3 years.
- The average full four-drawer filing cabinet holds 10,000 to 12,000 documents, takes up to 9 square feet and costs £900 per year.
- Every 12 filing cabinets require an additional employee to maintain.
- Over 70% of todays businesses would fail within 3 weeks if they suffered a catastrophic loss of paper-based records due to fire or flood.
Sources: Cooper & Lybrand, PC Magazine, AIM, Imagine Magazine, Gartner Group.